[CLUE-Tech] /dev/cdrom gone....?

Match Grun match at dimensional.com
Fri May 11 12:03:02 MDT 2001

Gordon,

Have you disabled kudzu in your startup script? I found that kudzu only
works if the hardware configuration changes! I could never get kudzu
to work if you choose do keep the configuration. Perform the following:

	Shutdown your computer.
	If the CD-ROM drive is connected: Disconnect IDE cable.
	Startup computer.
	Let kudzu find that the device is/is not there.
	Accept configuration.
	Shutdown your computer.
	Connect IDE cable.
	Startup computer.
	Let kudzu find the CDROM. It will do all it's magic for you.

This also works with network cards and other hardware. I have found that
kudzu builds all the correct entries under /dev and /mnt for CD-ROM
drives if you perform these steps.

Match

On Fri, 11 May 2001 09:53:44 -0600
"Gordon Forsythe" <baohx_2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I had removed the cdrom in my linux box a few weeks ago because I needed it
> to do an install on another box.  Stupid me turned the box back on after
> taking out the cdrom, and kudzu recognized that I removed the cdrom, so I
> removed the configuration.  (I'm running redhat 7.1, btw)  I put the cdrom
> back in the machine, but kudzu didn't recognize that I put it back in, so
> /dev/cdrom no longer exists.  Does anyone know how to bring this back?
> Thanks!
>   Gordon

Match Grun
"Don't wonder too much -- you may get lost"