[CLUE-Tech] don't know much about viruses

David Anselmi anselmi at intradenver.net
Tue May 15 21:53:07 MDT 2001

The email virus scanners that I've heard of are primarily looking for
Windows macro viruses (VBScript and such like).  They probably also scan
executables attached to emails, but again, I think it's Windows .exe's
they'd be looking at.

In Linux, if you don't execute anything you get in the mail, you won't get
any viruses that way.  You probably have to take an attachment, save it to
disk, and then make it run.  In Windows, all you have to do is double
click on an attachment that runs rather than opens (like executables do),
or even just open it if it's something like a Word doc that has a macro
set to run on open.  Somehow that manages to catch quite a few people.

If you send your original message, with the broken URL, will it bounce
again?  Perhaps htp: is a virus signature somewhere.  Or perhaps you
caught the server at a bad time (don't laugh, I can imagine a bug where
the server detects a virus in one message but bounces a different one).

Dave