[CLUE-Tech] Native Yahoo! IM Client for Linux!

Dave Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Fri Nov 2 12:29:50 MST 2001

Jeffery Cann wrote:

> I have a friend who works as a programmer for Douglas County.  They use Yahoo
> IM to communicate at work.  I have also read reports that the number of daily
> IMs will soon surpass the number of emails.  Many businesses are switching to
> IM for simple communications.  My friend tells me that his coworkers joke
> about email being too slow, compared to IM.

Hmmm...  Any idea about what they say over IM?  One thing I like about email (as
opposed to the phone, for instance) is that it is easily ignored when
interruptions are undesirable (like when deep concentration is required).  I've
never used IM.

I assume that Yahoo is a middleman in this.  What's the catch?  Do they say?
Could a company set up an internal IM service so they don't have potentially
proprietary information shared with Yahoo?

The military is constantly adding faster, easier communication paths to remote
units.  But if they aren't careful to provide secure paths that are equally easy,
they have to chase down all sorts of classified information leaks.  Worst is not
so much that people leak classified information, but evaluating whether an
aggregate of unclassified information reveals details that are classified.  Of
course much of this is too paranoid for average businesses.