[CLUE-Tech] 404's

Jeremiah Stanley miah at miah.org
Sun Nov 11 10:43:19 MST 2001

> It seems like there should be some way that I could let them know that
> their systems are generating these attempts and that they are
> infected.  It may be like rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic since
> there are so many machines doing this. But if my machine were the
> sender and not the receiver, I would want to know.

There are some programs on freshmeat.net that scan your logs (in realtime,
and from a cron job) that look for specific signatures and files that the
viruses look for (which make your 404's). I can't remeber the names of any
of them though (too much Windows will do that to ya! ;).

> What would you do?  Just erase the log so the disk doesn't fill up and
> move on since it's not a problem for me?  What are the choices?

I assume that you have logrotate installed?

When confronted by a difficult problem, you can solve it more easily by
reducing it to the question, "How would the Lone Ranger handle this?"