[CLUE-Tech] Software audit of Linux software versions

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Sun Nov 11 16:08:33 MST 2001

On Sun, 11 Nov 2001 13:30:16 -0700
Kevin Cullis <kevincu at orci.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> How can I find out via a command or the like which software version I
> have?  I.e. I'd like to do just one command to list all of the software
> loaded on my Linux computer and their version, is this possible?

Um,

find / -perm +111 | xargs -v > mywares.lst ?????????? ;-)

Except that some programs use -v for "verbose" not "version", and then
there's the --version option to worry about as well, and programs which
don't have any of these switches.

I'm always amazed at the cruft I find looking around in /bin and /usr/bin.
Seems a lot of packagers seem to think I need lots o' stuff.

jed
--
  If R is the set of all sets which don't contain themselves,
  does R contain itself?