[CLUE-Tech] ethernet wiring

Dave Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Mon Nov 12 13:16:30 MST 2001

Jeremiah Stanley wrote:

> Does anybody know of some good links on where to find color diagrams of
> how to wire ethernet wall jacks using standard cat 5? I'm working on
> a plan to install ethernet jacks into a house and I need to put together a
> list of hardware that I'll need.

The jacks that I've used had a diagram showing which color went in which
slot.  It is the same as the plug, but you have to be careful because the
jacks may have a twist in some pairs internally.  The bottom line is that the
connectors at both ends (jack or plug) have to look the same when you hold
them side by side facing the same direction.  Though you can't do that easily
with jacks, look at one and then make the other look the same.

It would be good to do the colors the way T568(A or B) says, but isn't
essential.  Also note that you only use 4 of the 8 wires, so if you screw up
on an unused pair you won't notice it.

I've recently been through just what you're doing.  I'll have my hardware in
my car at the meeting tomorrow if you want to look at it or ask questions in
person.  Deciding how to do the patch panel was the most involved part for me.

Do you have a place to buy stuff?  Can you recommend one?