[CLUE-Tech] KISS session tomorrow

Grant Johnson grant at amadensor.com
Tue Nov 13 09:42:12 MST 2001

>The bottom line is that hardware is fast and cheap, so optimizing isn't as
>important as it used to be.  I have some opinions on kernel compiling too, but I
>see that Dan mentions them in his talk so I'll save them for the meeting.

It's that attitude that makes my job hard.  Optimizing is ALWAYS
important.
1)  Optimizing, even on fast hardware means you can do more things at
once for more people at once.
2)  Optimizing for speed usually means finding a simpler way of doing
things, which in the long run is more maintainable.
3)  Those who take the time to optimize are usually those who care about
their code and how it works, and usually the ones who actually take to
do other little things like debugging.

This attitude is why we have what we do today, where my 300 Mhz AMD
running Excel takes longer to recalc a spreadsheet than a 1Mhz CBM 8032
running Busicalc, and why my 366 AMD laptop with 96 M or memory and an
EIDE drive running Postgres outperforms a dual 933 with a gig of memory
and RAID 5 Ultra 3 SCSI running SQL Server 2000.

Stay away from the dark side.  Write good code.

This is not meant to be a personal attack.  Many people have this
attitude, it is even the prevailing theory taught in schools now.  That
doesn't make it right.