[CLUE-Tech] HELP - window manager

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Thu Nov 15 08:39:59 MST 2001

jon b wrote:

> Hey all.  I am dropping this quick request because my Gnome/KDE
> abilities have come to a fast halt.  I am running RH 7.1 on my IBM
> notebook.  I installed enlightenment-0.16-4 or something like that.  I
> then went through Gnome Control Panel and switched to Enlightenment.
> After Enlightenment started running I noticed it was speedy.  It did
> take away the bar for Gnome though?  Anyways I uninstalled through
> GnoRPM after attempting many times (probably more than five) to switch
> back to sawfish.  This should have happened fairly easily, right?
> Nope... almost as if Enlightenment didn't want to give up the
> installation.  Some really great fonts, colors, etc. but I am a newbie
> and need the Gnome bar on the bottom.
>

> Now Enlightenment is uninstalled and I can't get X-server to run
> properly because of the WM (my strong hunch).  Any thoughts?
>

> Thanks.
>
> *Jon Buttjer*
>
> jontheisguy at yahoo.com <mailto:jontheisguy at yahoo.com>

Hi Jon,

I'm a big fan of E and its very easy to get it working in conjunction with
the Gnome Panel or with multiple Gnome Panels.  Here is my .Xclients file:

[edhill at gamma1 ~]$ ls -al .Xclients
-rwxrwxr-x    1 edhill   edhill         93 Oct 27 17:06 .Xclients*
[edhill at gamma1 ~]$ more .Xclients
#
#
#

   /usr/bin/panel >& /dev/null &

   #  /usr/bin/gmc >& /dev/null &

   enlightenment

[edhill at gamma1 ~]$

and I *don't* use the graphical X login.  I use text terminals and run
"startx" when I want X windows.

Also note that there are lots of different ways to start programs by adding
them to your .Xclients file.  The example I gave above is just a *very*
simple one that allows for the use of a gnome panel in conjunction with E
and it works well with RH v7.2 which includes a newer version of GNOME
which does not work as well with E (they both want to set the "background"
or the root X display and there are some other minor issues).

hth,
Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD