[CLUE-Tech] Goofy Font Problems in GNOME

Matthew Porter mfporter at mindspring.com
Fri Nov 16 17:21:57 MST 2001

I'm running Debian and Gnome, and a recent "apt-get update" played some kind of havok with my fonts and locale settings.  Various fonts, including all my Gnome desktop fonts, turned into little squares.

After some web searching and RTFMing, I seem to have fixed most of the problems by editing my /etc/locale.gen, running locale-gen, and editing my X configuration.  However, there is still one (?) problem that eludes me:

In a few applications, some fonts *still* show up as little squares.  These include the header titles (To:, From:, Date:, etc.) in the Sylpheed preview pane, and ALL MENUS in RealPlayer.

I can't seem to find what config files I need to tweak to set this right, or find any other useful information.  Any tips?  My next step would be to purge and re-install the affected apps, but I'm hoping to avoid that.

Thanks,

 --Matt.