[CLUE-Tech] PHP or CSS question

Kevin Cullis kevincu at orci.com
Sat Nov 17 19:35:53 MST 2001

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier wrote:

> On Sat, 17 Nov 2001, Dave Anselmi wrote:
>
> > Kevin Cullis wrote:
> >
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I'm trying to learn PHP, in a small way, and would like to determine
> > > whether CSS or PHP would be best for my situation.
> >
> > Can you do headers/footers in CSS?  For example, if I want the same menu
> > bar on every page, it's easy to do a php include to get it.  But how in
> > CSS?
>
> CSS won't automagically include headers and footers, use PHP for
> that. But, you'll probably want to use the same stylesheets for most
> or all of your pages, so you would use PHP to include the CSS in
> each page...
>
> CSS isn't a programming language, it's a formatting language. PHP
> and CSS work well together -- they don't perform the same functions.

The key issue that I'm wondering is: "in the HTML beginning", each and
every style was located throughout a "document" while CSS now locates
styles in one place, could PHP, without the use of CSS, just allow me to
design just one footer that has all of the normal HTML tags but use PHP
to "call" the one file throughout the web site. I'm trying to think
outside of a CSS/PHP box here: could a normal footer (such as company
name, address, and email address on each web page) be "cut and pasted"
into a PHP code that would have the simple HTML code displayed for each
page?

KC