[CLUE-Tech] PHP or CSS question

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier jbrockmeier at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 17 21:19:59 MST 2001

On Sat, 17 Nov 2001, Kevin Cullis wrote:

> Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier wrote:.
> > >
> > > The key issue that I'm wondering is: "in the HTML beginning", each and
> > > every style was located throughout a "document" while CSS now locates
> > > styles in one place, could PHP, without the use of CSS, just allow me to
> > > design just one footer that has all of the normal HTML tags but use PHP
> > > to "call" the one file throughout the web site. I'm trying to think
> > > outside of a CSS/PHP box here: could a normal footer (such as company
> > > name, address, and email address on each web page) be "cut and pasted"
> > > into a PHP code that would have the simple HTML code displayed for each
> > > page?
> >
> > Yes, this is pretty trivial to do with PHP. All you need is something
> > like
> >
> > <?
> > include("footer.html");
> > ?>
> >
> > in each file on your site that you want to have a footer.
> >
> > And have all the footer stuff located in "footer.html"
>
> Zonker, don't think of it as trivial, think of it as using KISS!  I once
> had a friend tell me to use PERL script to remove the HTML tags from an
> HTML table and the resulting text could be used elsewhere.  Well, first
> off I don't know PERL, but I was able to use vim and the paste command
> to do the same thing with a "cut and paste" to start the task. While I
> appreciate his demonstration of PERL for larger projects, it was too
> much work for my simple stuff.

Well, granted, if you don't know PHP then it may not seem trivial, but...
it's pretty trivial compared to other tasks you'd do with PHP.

BTW, if you're trying to learn PHP I'd highly recommend "PHP Essentials"
by Julie Meloni. It walks through basic tasks with PHP and doesn't
assume too much prior knowledge.

> I'll check out the PHP script and report back as to how it worked. Has
> anyone tried the above idea in other ways?
>
> Thanks for the info, Zonker.

No problem... good luck with the site.

Zonker
Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier -=- jbrockmeier at earthlink.net