[CLUE-Tech] RE: responses for Dec Alpha computer boxes.

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at home.com
Tue Nov 20 15:54:53 MST 2001

On 11-20 14:55, Mike Staver wrote:
> Sean, sorry to hear about your job loss.  I am thanking my lucky stars
> that I still have mine, but I fear that as the ecomy stays the way it
> is, that won't be the case in the near future.  It sucks when you want
> to buy a house, and don't because you don't know what your financial
> status will be in a month from now.  So, I'm trying to prepare myself
> for seems certain.  Is there any advice any of you can give me on how to
> cope with looking for a new job in Denver?  I've only lived here for
> about 1.5 years now, so I still don't have a real good feeling for the
> job market here.  I'm not sure what companies are good to work for,
> which allow freedom (such as using linux rather than windoze), and stuff
> like that.  Sorry if this is off topic, I'm just curious how many of you
> are thinking the same thing I am right now.

I wish I knew how to help. I've only been out here just over three years,
myself. There was some joking last night at the CLUE-Cert meeting about
getting a CDL. That might not be all that bad of an idea, given the current
dearth of IT positions out there...I've also been playing with the idea of
going back to university for a masters degree, and just wait out things a
bit while living on student loans...I still may have to take a big ding in
the respect category after being out of the field for two years, but it might
beat groveling for IT positions that aren't so great in the first place.

The only thing is I've only just gotten out of debt about a year ago, and it
sure was a nice feeling while it lasted. University is a sure way to get back
into DEEP debt again. :)

In any case, I'm wondering if university or continuing education enrollment
has been way up the past year...I know another guy who was laid off from where
I was at was talking of going for an MBA.

Sean LeBlanc, seanleblanc at home.com
IM-> Yahoo: seanleblancathome ICQ: 138565743 MSN: seanleblancathome AIM: sleblancathome
Life is something that happens when you can't get to sleep.
-Fran Lebowitz
Management QOTD:Senior management agrees that we should get our ducks in a line and go
the whole nine yards in regarding the continuous improvement process.