[CLUE-Tech] Upgrading to Red Hat V7.2 - Experiences?

Jeremiah Stanley miah at miah.org
Fri Nov 23 08:49:46 MST 2001

> Has anybody had serious problems with upgrading their Red Hat V7.0 PCs
> to V7.2?

Nope, I'm loving it. I actually have DRI/DRM support under XFree 4.1 out
of the box and the ext3 filesystem is easy to manage and works like a
charm (I actually tried kicking the cable out of the wall to see if it
worked as advertised, and it does).

>  Have not seen any in-depth reviews of RH V7.2 of late. I have one
> production PC that I would like to upgrade, but between the kernel
> change (to 2.4.x) and the filesystem change (ext2->ext3) I'm concerned
> that they upgrade process may kill the PC altogether.

I've never been fond of the upgrade option that RH puts together. If you
actually use the system for work/programming then you most likely have
installed updated RPM's and played/broken the configs as RH sees them. The
best way to get upgraded is to backup your data and blow a new instal
down. My $.02...

As for the CD-ROM, it sounds to me like you have a pre-ATAPI drive and
that's why the CD doesn't want to boot. Poo on RH for not supporting that
older hardware though. But, if you have your heart set now CD's aren't
that expensive...

JStanley
--
When confronted by a difficult problem, you can solve it more easily by
reducing it to the question, "How would the Lone Ranger handle this?"