[CLUE-Tech] Linux on an @Home Cable Modem

Dave Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Thu Oct 4 11:36:19 MDT 2001

Warren wrote:

> Basically, my setup is a multi-homed box with the internet-facing side
> dynamically assigned and the private-facing interface statically
> assigned.  I don't know how or why, but on bootup, the internal
> interface (the so-called static one) would get an address assigned from
> my internal dhcp server and the external interface would fail to come
> up.  Even if I attempted to correct it in the rc.local script, it would
> still fail on boot.  Once the machine was up and running, the scripts
> would work from the command line (ifdown & ifup).

Is it possible that your setup is confused about which interface is eth0
and which is eth1?  I assume that your ifup sets eth0 with dhcpcd and
eth1
static (or vice versa), but are you sure which is which?

If not, here are 3 ways to dictate it (not tested on 2.2.x or earlier
kernels, ymmv):

Add a boot parameter, either at the boot prompt or in lilo.conf like
this:

append='ether=10,0x300,eth0 ether=11,,eth1"

where the irq, address, and interface are what you want.  You can find
out
which card uses which irq/addr by looking through /proc/pci.

You can specify the irq in the ifconfig command (assuming it is used in
your ifup script), like:
ifconfig eth0 add 192.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast
192.168.0.255
irq 11 up

If using different modules for each nic, your /etc/modules.conf can look
like this:
alias eth0 tulip
alias eth0 ne2k-pci

> The Coyote Linux boot disk, v1.30 - using dhcpcd - did not run into any
> problems and works with static or dynamic addressing.

Did you look through their boot scripts to see what they do different
from
RH?  Might be fun to play with at installfest (can you tell I'm trying
give everyone a reason to come? ;-)