[CLUE-Tech] Why can't bash find vi?

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Fri Oct 12 13:17:16 MDT 2001

Greetings, fellow cluebies. I'm feeling clueless here ;-)

After deciding to abandon vim, and try out elvis, I installed elvis from
RPM, and removed all vim RPMs. Noticing that I no longer had any "vi"
executable on the system, I cd'd to /usr/local/bin and executed:

  ln -s `which elvis` vi

resulting in:

  $ ls -o /usr/local/bin/vi
  lrwxrwxrwx    1 root           14 Oct 12 12:35 /usr/local/bin/vi ->
/usr/bin/elvis

However, an xterm which was openned before I did all this has this
problem:

  $ which vi
  /usr/local/bin/vi
  $ vi
  bash: /bin/vi: No such file or directory
  $ alias | grep -i vi (no matches)
  $ env | grep -i vi (no matches)

new xterms don't have this trouble.

So, after rummaging through various man pages, config files, etc., without
finding an answer, I'm wondering what "helpful" feature of bash is
resulting in it not just running the executable on the path.

TIA
jed
--
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a
 difference. Free Software developers don't have that problem."