[CLUE-Tech] Why can't bash find vi?

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Fri Oct 12 15:26:21 MDT 2001

On Fri, 12 Oct 2001 14:54:02 -0600
Dave Anselmi <anselmi at americanisp.net> wrote:

> "Jed S. Baer" wrote:
> >   $ which vi
> >   /usr/local/bin/vi
> >   $ vi
> >   bash: /bin/vi: No such file or directory

> But as to the error message you get, it is not a bash error, it's a vi
> error.
> Bash is running /bin/vi, which is complaining because it can't find a
> file.
> Usually (in my experience) this is caused by missing libraries but that
> is
> strange on an rpm system.  Look to see if there is a /bin/vi file or
> link.  If
> there is, delete it since you don't want it there.

Dave, I don't believe it's a vi error. /bin/vi doesn't exist, therefore
can't be run. So it would make sense that bash would complain about not
finding it. If it were a vi error, I'd expect the message to look more
like:
  "vi: unable to frobble the mungler"
or whatever.

$ ls /bin/vi
ls: /bin/vi: No such file or directory

jed
--
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a
 difference. Free Software developers don't have that problem."