[CLUE-Tech] apache & ssl problem

Randy Arabie rrarabie at home.com
Sun Oct 28 16:28:42 MST 2001

Hi all,

I've got a redhat 7.1 system running apache-1.3.19-5.
This is a default apache install, standalone configuration,
with ssl running on port 443 as a virtual host.

I can connect to my standard port 80, but can't to
the ssl port 443.

I can't seem to find relevant error messages to resolve
the issue.

An attempted lynx connection reports:

	Looking up 192.168.1.200
	Making HTTPS connection to 192.168.1.200
	Retrying connection.
	Looking up 192.168.1.200
	Making HTTPS connection to 192.168.1.200
	Alert!: Unable to make secure connection to remote host.

	lynx: Can't access startfile https://192.168.1.200/

An attempted IE 5.x connection results in the standard
"Cannot find server or DNS Error" message.

An attempted telnet connection to port 443 shows that httpd is
running on port 443:

	Trying 192.168.1.200...
	Connected to 192.168.1.200.
	Escape character is '^]'.
	sald
	<head>
        <title>Voldemort Login</title>
	</head>
        <form action="index.html" method="POST">
        <h1 align="center">Welcome to Voldemort</h1>
        <H2 ALIGN="CENTER">
        <FONT COLOR="#FF0000" SIZE="6" FACE="ARIAL">
        <U>W A R N I N G !</U>
        </FONT>
        </H2>

        detection system.  Access to and use of this facility requires explicit, current
        authorization and is strictly limited.</b></p>

        destruction, or damage to its data, programs or equipment may violate the Federal
        Computer Fraud and Abuse Act of 1986 as well as applicable state law and/or civil
        liability.</b></p>

        yourself to investigation that could lead to prosecution should you not have
        authorization or violate any of these restrictions.</b></p>

        <h3>Please Login</h3>
        User Name: <input type="text" name="user_name">
        <input type="submit" name="submit" value="Login!">
        </form>
	Connection closed by foreign host.

These failed connections do not show up in any of my
/var/log/httpd logfiles.  My ssl_request_log files are empty.

I've pasted in the virtualhost section of my httpd.conf file below:
(comments excluded)

<***----------------SNIP----------------***>

<VirtualHost 192.168.1.200:443>

DocumentRoot "/var/www/html"

SSLEngine on

SSLCipherSuite ALL:!ADH:RC4+RSA:+HIGH:+MEDIUM:+LOW:+SSLv2:+EXP:+eNULL

SSLCertificateFile /etc/httpd/conf/ssl.crt/server.crt

SSLCertificateKeyFile /etc/httpd/conf/ssl.key/server.key

SSLCACertificatePath /etc/httpd/conf/ssl.crt

SSLCARevocationPath /etc/httpd/conf/ssl.crl

SSLVerifyClient require

SSLVerifyDepth  10

<Files ~ "\.(cgi|shtml)$">
    SSLOptions +StdEnvVars
</Files>
<Directory "/var/www/cgi-bin">
    SSLOptions +StdEnvVars
</Directory>

SetEnvIf User-Agent ".*MSIE.*" nokeepalive ssl-unclean-shutdown

CustomLog /var/log/httpd/ssl_request_log \
          "%t %h %{SSL_PROTOCOL}x %{SSL_CIPHER}x \"%r\" %b"

</VirtualHost>

</IfDefine>

Does anyone see something there that may help me out?

Thanks in advance.

-------

Cheers!

Randy Arabie