[CLUE-Tech] Help Dual-Boot my Notebook?

mfporter at mindspring.com mfporter at mindspring.com
Mon Sep 10 10:54:59 MDT 2001

I've got a new Compaq 1700US notebook with Windows ME, and I need to make it dual-boot with Debian.  Anyone have any experience or advice to share?

A couple of specific questions:

Advice on partitioning the hard drive?  Is Partition Magic the way to go, or are there other options I should look into?

Any advice on obtaining a PCMCIA modem?  (Like all the notebooks I looked at, this one has a Winmodem.  The modem manufacturer says that a Linux driver "is forthcoming," but in the meantime I need a PC card solution to use under Linux.)

And, in general, any gotchas I should look out for?

Thanks,

 --Matt.

Matthew Porter

Golden, Colorado