[CLUE-Tech] Re: Can I use HP Colorado 5GB ATAPI tape hardware withRedHat 7.1?

Dave Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Wed Sep 12 22:29:02 MDT 2001

Carl Gibbons wrote:

>   tar: /dev/nht0: Cannot read: Input/output error

Is the n for non-rewinding?  Does the rewinding device work better?

> I haven't tried downgrading to RedHat 6.2 or something else that uses a
> 2.2.x kernel; from what I've learned, that's what I'll have to do, since
> the ide-tape kernel module seems not to work in 2.4.x kernels.  Jeff, do
> you have your HP Colorado 5GB tape drive working with a 2.4.x kernel?

Can you change kernels without downgrading the whole install?  This is pretty
easy in debian, or if you build the kernel yourself, though a long term change
would require changing e.g., iptables for ipchains.  But that shouldn't matter
for a quick trial.

If you can build your own kernel, you might also try 2.4.x and compile the
tape driver into the kernel.  The problems I've had with modules had to do
with not understanding how to get all the pieces parts loaded correctly (did
that today, in fact, with a CD writer; fortunately the cd writing howto had
detailed instructions).