[CLUE-Tech] Help Dual-Boot my Notebook?

Matthew Porter mfporter at mindspring.com
Wed Sep 12 23:01:21 MDT 2001

On 10 Sep 2001, at 13:07, Warren wrote:

> Assuming an IDE drive, I typically make a 25MB /boot partition (active,
> hda1), a Windoze partition (hda2), a Linux partition (hda3), and Linux
> swap (hda4).
>
> And then I conveniently forget where I need to install lilo and have to
> look it up.
>
> I've never used PM to do this, however.  I've always used Ranish
> Partition Manager http://www.users.intercom.com/~ranish/part/

Thanks for the tips.  I took a quick look at the Ranish Partition web
site, and I'm considering it.  How is it for re-partitioning a drive
without damaging an existing Windows partition?  How much
expertise is required? (I've set up Linux systems before, but only
on brand new hard drives or existing empty partitions; I've never had
to do a non-destructive re-partition on a drive already in use.)

> I've seen plenty of docs on how to get a winmodem working under linux,
> but *I'd* rather take the path of least resistance and get one that says
> "linux supported" right there on the box.  This usually means a 3com or
> a Linksys.

Thanks again.  I've heard a couple of recommendations for Linksys
modems, so I'll give them a look.

 --Matt.