[CLUE-Tech] CLUE: Need Networking help

Brandon N bneill at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 14 14:43:06 MDT 2001

I'm free on friday and mondays, and saturday afternoon, sometimes on
sunday.

Brandon

To: clue-tech at clue.denver.co.us
Subject: Re: [CLUE-Tech] Help Dual-Boot my Notebook?
From: Ed <ed at telesto-eng.com>
Date: 14 Sep 2001 10:50:08 -0600
Sender: clue-tech-admin at clue.denver.co.us

    M> Thanks for the info.  I guess things would be similar on a
    M> notebook with WinME?

    M> A couple of things that make me nervous are that I don't have
    M> full- fledged OS disks - just the "restore CD" from Compaq --
    M> and the notebook also has some kind of funky "D" drive
    M> partition called "system save" (which seems to be used for
    M> hibernation mode, and who knows what else).

    M> It would be nice to just blow away the Windows install and load
    M> 'er up with Debian, but we've all heard this song before: I
    M> need Windows access for work, compatibility with clients,
    M> etcetera and so forth...

OK, you are working with a compaq pesario, is that it?

I have linux/win98 working well as a dual boot. Currerntly I have
hosed the linux X windows by half-way upgrading to KDE from GNOME, but
something got screwed up on the way! Fortunately emacs still works!

The D partition sucks. It is some kind of backup thing which wastes a
tremendous amount of your disk. Something like 1 GB out of my 4 GB
disk! This makes windows very cramped, because I gave 2 gb to linux.

I intend (when I get some time) to reformat the whole drive and
reinstall debian/w2k. I hope to get my 1 GB back and also get KDE
working.

But first I have to do it on my desktop...

Ed Hartnett

--
Telesto Engineering - www.telesto-eng.com - Embedded programming consultants.