[CLUE-Tech] Linux Syllabus?

Cyberclops Cyberclops at hawaii.rr.com
Sat Sep 22 09:03:43 MDT 2001

I don't have a syllabus, but I hope you give full attention on the best tricks for making the best
use of  GUI  interfaces for Linux.  It seems to be a subject that is often ignored.  What I mean,
is how to use GUI's in such a way as not having to use the CLI much at all, and how to avoid the
problem of logging into "root" constantly.  You might also point out to the class the advantages of
using a solid distribution like "Libranet," (Debian) as compared to fragile distributions like
"Mandrake."  The goal of the class should be to have students learn that Linux is a fully viable
alternative to high priced M$ and Apple software.  In fact it is the only system that makes true
economic sense to end users.  However, for them to see it as a viable alternative, they will have
to be convinced that it actually is a truly  user friendly operating system.