[CLUE-Tech] Security tools

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Thu Sep 27 11:04:23 MDT 2001

I haven't read the snort docs for a while, so I'm going on memory here.
When I was looking at it, I thought hey, that's cool, but why can't I get
an X11 popup when there's an alarm? IIRC, it would do a WinPopup, but that
doesn't help much, coz I boot my windows box about once every 2 weeks.
Doesn't it require Samba for the WinPopup to work? If that's true, then
one would have to be checking /var/log/messages, or some other logfile, to
get notified when an intrusion is in progress. The cool thing would be a
little Tk or gtk app with also had some sort of semaphore process, or
would just tail|grep the logfile, and do visual/audible notification
immediately when an intrusion is detected. I suppose that if one is
confident of one's settings, that just letting it do it's thing silently
in the background is a good thing -- avoiding gobs of annoying popups
which require no action -- but I'd like to know when I'm being
portscanned, and I couldn't see an easy way to set that up.