[CLUE-Tech] ssh session freezing

Todd A. Gibson tgibson at augustcouncil.com
Fri Sep 28 15:11:56 MDT 2001

Hi Folks,

I have a DSL Cisco 678 router set up to allow me to ssh into my box at
home (from anywhere outside of the home).  Here's the problem and symptoms:

* Connects fine.  I'm off to the races running commands, etc. on my home
box.

* Every 2-5 minutes: the connection freezes.

* If I'm lucky and patient: the connection will unfreeze on its own.
This doesn't happen often.

* Always:  If I start a second ssh session, the first session
un-freezes.  I don't even have to log in with the second
session.  The first session typically unfreezes around the time
the second session prompts for a password.

I know of one other person who has this same problem.  He has resorted
to opening a second xterm and putting ssh into a while loop to keep
his first ssh session from freezing.

I have CBOS 2.4.1 and am waiting for access to Cisco's site to upgrade
my CBOS, but I'm not optimistic that will solve the problem because
I came across a 2-year old post to some other users group describing
nearly the exact same thing.

Anybody know what's going on here?
Thanks,
-TAG