[CLUE-Tech] Some RedHat 7.2 questions

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at attbi.com
Fri Apr 5 10:20:21 MST 2002

On 04-05 08:13, Sean LeBlanc wrote:
> On 04-05 07:44, Sean LeBlanc wrote:

> > > You can use ifconfig to manually configure your interfaces.  BTW, it is
> > > a standard *nix command, not RH specific.
> >
> > Yes, but what happens on a reboot? Where is the proper place to disable DHCP
> > so it doesn't hang on trying to start up eth0? And I'd like the static IP to
> > be set on startup, too. Also, when I type ifconfig eth0 up, nothing happens
> > (after startup is finally done). Ifconfig DOES list eth0 interace (along
> > with lo), but no associated IP with it.
>
> Doh. Well, I tried another cable just on a whim...that must have been it.
> DHCP and other networking all work fine again. I just can't seem to make
> reliable cables.
>
> Now for another question:
>
> I can't get Tomcat (4.0) to listen on port 80 because it needs privs to do
> so...the server.xml file currently has the default in it, which is 8180. Has
> anyone else here used Tomcat on RH 7.2, and how did you get it to listen to
> port 80? Do I need to setuid something?
>
> TIA,

Well, back to the old drawing board. The network connection on the RedHat
machine went down again.  Being very frustrated (there was nothing in
/var/log/ to indicate what might have happened), I installed FreeBSD to see
how it might behave on said box.

So far, so good.  Are there any known issues with this card and RH 7.2? I'm
also wondering if there was any IRQ conflicts, but I forgot to check before
wiping RH - FreeBSD doesn't seem to have any, but that's kind of
apples-to-oranges: it might not have configured all the hardware in the box.

Here are the relevant lines from FreeBSD's /var/log/messages:

Apr  5 02:36:54 freebsd2 /kernel: xl0: <3Com 3c905-TX Fast Etherlink XL>
port 0xfcc0-0xfcff irq 11 at device 6.0 on pci0

Apr  5 02:36:54 freebsd2 /kernel: xl0: Ethernet address: 00:10:4b:23:3b:49

Any help is appreciated. I really want to get RH set up and running on this
box because our current target for the production machine is RH 7.2...I'm
not sure whose decision this is, or if it's a restriction placed on us by
the hosting service, but for now, it's RH.

Anyone know where older RH x86 ISOs can be downloaded? I'd like to see if
6.1 works on this box any better.

TIA,
--
Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at attbi.com Yahoo:seanleblancathome
ICQ:138565743 MSN:seanleblancathome AIM:sleblancathome