[CLUE-Tech] Reverse DNS

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Mon Apr 8 14:51:40 MDT 2002

On Mon, 8 Apr 2002 14:18:41 -0600
Matt Gushee <mgushee at havenrock.com> wrote:

> Can anybody tell me the usual way to do a reverse DNS lookup from
> the command line?

Well, on my box, the host command just does it.

$ host clue.denver.co.us
clue.denver.co.us. has address 199.239.19.17
[1]+  Done                    xv *jpg
$ host 199.239.19.17
17.19.239.199.in-addr.arpa. domain name pointer techanglegw17.verioco.com.

"host" being the replacement for nslookup. You might try flipping the addy
around, and adding the in-addr.arpa suffix to it, if it doesn't just work.

jed
--
Fight the CBDTPA: http://www.eff.org/alerts/20020322_eff_cbdtpa_alert.html

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men,
 undergo the fatigue of supporting it." - Thomas Paine