[CLUE-Tech] Why Use APM? (Was Re: It was APM!)

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Mon Apr 8 15:30:48 MDT 2002

On Mon, 8 Apr 2002 15:17:27 -0600
Matt Gushee <mgushee at havenrock.com> wrote:

> So why use APM at all?

A question I think about on rare occassions. Reading the help topics
during a kernel xconfig, I find myself wondering what, if anything, I
should turn on. I leave my machine on all the time. There's really no
need, however, to have both HDs going full-tilt-boogie while I'm asleep or
(how I wish) at work. Dunno about throttling back the CPU, or even turning
off fans because there's less heat with a lower load.

Right now, all I'm doing is letting the monitor go blank, using the 'xset
dpms' settings.

I've done zero research on this. Is it worth the time?

--
Fight the CBDTPA: http://www.eff.org/alerts/20020322_eff_cbdtpa_alert.html

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men,
 undergo the fatigue of supporting it." - Thomas Paine