[CLUE-Tech] Why Use APM? (Was Re: It was APM!)

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Mon Apr 8 16:06:39 MDT 2002

On Mon, 8 Apr 2002 15:41:52 -0600
Matt Gushee <mgushee at havenrock.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 08, 2002 at 03:30:48PM -0600, Jed S. Baer wrote:
> > Matt Gushee <mgushee at havenrock.com> wrote:
> >
> > > So why use APM at all?
> >
> > A question I think about on rare occassions. Reading the help topics
> > during a kernel xconfig, I find myself wondering what, if anything, I
> > should turn on. I leave my machine on all the time. There's really no
> > need, however, to have both HDs going full-tilt-boogie while I'm
> > asleep or(how I wish) at work.
>
> Good point. But you might not need APM to put the HDs to sleep. My
> machine does it all by itself ... don't know how common a feature that
> is, though.

Haven't looked lately, but I think my BIOS (award) has some APM stuff in
it. The question being what level of interaction the kernel has with that,
and the other power management features, like dpms, etc.

--
Fight the CBDTPA: http://www.eff.org/alerts/20020322_eff_cbdtpa_alert.html

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men,
 undergo the fatigue of supporting it." - Thomas Paine