[CLUE-Tech] SSH and SFTP

Dave Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Thu Apr 11 18:31:40 MDT 2002

Sean LeBlanc wrote:

> I was confusing SFTP discussion at meeting with this method of (sort of)
> encrypting ftp:
>
> http://www.employees.org/~satch/ssh/faq/ssh-faq-5.html#ss5.6

One of the case studies in the O'Reilly book is about tunneling ftp over
ssh.  It was out of scope for my talk, so I didn't pay any attention.

It isn't too hard to forward the command connection over ssh using passive
mode.  There are some gotchas and NAT complicates the picture.  It turns out
the data connection can be forwarded too (SSH2 or OpenSSH) but it requires
setting up ports by hand so it's too long to discuss here.

I haven't found a need to do that sort of thing, anyway.  scp seems
perfectly adequate, but if you prefer an ftp style interface use sftp
(unless you only have the v1 server--then you're stuck).