[CLUE-Tech] Qmail doublebounce

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Tue Apr 16 11:12:23 MDT 2002

Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 10:51:24 -0600
From: Sean Reifschneider <jafo at tummy.com>
To: clue-tech at clue.denver.co.us
Subject: Re: [CLUE-Tech] Qmail doublebounce
Sender: clue-tech-admin at clue.denver.co.us

On Tue, Apr 16, 2002 at 09:34:46AM -0700, George Finney wrote:
>that doesn't have a user connected to it, qmail bounces the message back
>to the sender.  Spammers know this and don't accept bounces.  So qmail
>gets a double bounce message, but instead of going to a non-existent user,
>it comes to my inbox, the admin...

Try adding those recipients to the "badrcptto" control file (if you built
with the anti-spam patch which includes it).  That causes the SMTP server
to refuse the message before it hits your machine.

>I remember there being a control file, like doublebouncehost or
>doublebounceto, but instead of sending doublebounce messages to the
>address specified in those files, it discards the message, so no more
>doublebounce spam for me...Any ideas?

According to the "qmail-control" man page, you have "doublebouncehost" and
"doublebounceto", which you can find more information on in the qmail-send
man page.

Sean
--
 Q. What's the difference between Batman and Bill Gates?
 A. When Batman fought the Penguin, he won.