[CLUE-Tech] Debian: gpm not installing by default

jbrockmeier at earthlink.net jbrockmeier at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 21 10:55:25 MDT 2002

On Sun, 21 Apr 2002, Collins wrote:

> One additional note.  Gentoo typically supplies a 2.4.x kernel with
> patches, although nothing precludes you from downloading and compling
> unpatched kernel sources.  Whenever the patches for performance
> improvements are stable (they aren't at the 2.4.19+ level), gentoo
> will offer them.  Purists (frequently small minds) scorn this
> approach.  I once got a comment from a KDE developer:  "Gentoo, you're
> running a patched kernel ... get a real distro"  As though the problem
> I reported had anything at all to do with the kernel.

I wonder what distro this bonehead was running? Mandrake, SuSE,
Red Hat all ship with patched kernels - I think Slackware and Debian
may as well, but I can't swear to it.

In fact, this is one of the main arguments for using a commercial
distro - they have folks who test the kernel (and other bits too, of
course) and add patches and such to make it more stable. That's what
makes it worth the money (that and not going to each and every site
and downloading and compiling everything by hand...)

Just because it hasn't been blessed with, as Linus puts it, Holy
Pengiun Pee doesn't mean that it's a Bad Thing.

Jeez, I thought that was the whole fershlugginer point of Free
Software! What a maroon!

Take care,

Zonker
Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier -=- jbrockmeier at earthlink.net
http://www.DissociatedPress.net/
ymessenger: jbrockmeier / AIM: ZonkerJoe