[CLUE-Tech] " In the beginning was Slackware"?

jbrockmeier at earthlink.net jbrockmeier at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 21 18:45:06 MDT 2002

On Sun, 21 Apr 2002, David Jackson wrote:

> So speaketh the Linux-Distro Howto.
>
> But the question is what is the History from the Distro point of view?
> I seem to recall a reference a semi-distribution, before Slack, and
> of course Yggdrasil Plug & Play. The Howto also says "In Europe of course,
> Slackware reigned."?

There was a distro called "SLS" (I think) before Slackware,
but I believe that Red Hat and SuSE were based on Slack.
Slackware was based on SLS and the fixes Patrick put into it.
Think you have a lot of disk swapping now? Slackware used to
be a big 'ol pile of floppies.

Yggdrasil's "Plug and Play" was quite the misnomer, if I recall
it had no support for Plug and Play at all. Yggdrasil kind of
petered out before Linux really became popular, then made an
abortive attempt to get back into the game when Linux became
really popular. Their "Linux Bible" was the first Linux book
that I found.

Take care,

Zonker
Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier -=- jbrockmeier at earthlink.net
http://www.DissociatedPress.net/
ymessenger: jbrockmeier / AIM: ZonkerJoe