[CLUE-Tech] " In the beginning was Slackware"?

Jeffery Cann fabian at jefferycann.com
Mon Apr 22 18:34:44 MDT 2002

On Monday 22 April 2002 10:06 am, J. Wayde Allen wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Apr 2002, Jeffery Cann wrote:
> > SLS was the 'first' Linux distribution.
>
> Hmmm ... I used to use SLS.  It seems like that was a long time ago
> now.  However, I disagree that it was the "first" distribution.  If
> memory serves me correctly there were serveral others that predated or at
> the very least coincided with SLS at this time in ancient Linux
> history.  One that comes to mind was the MCC distribution.

Wayde -

I agree that SLS is probably not really the first distribution, and that's
why I quoted the word 'first'.  Like much of history, it's certainly up for
discussion.  Since Slack was my first and only distribution (since 1995)
until 4 months ago, I never used (or new about) SLS other than that Slack was
based on it and most folks seemed to call it the 'first' Linux distribution.

This would certainly be a good time for some digital archeology!  Any Indiana
Jones's lurking?

Jeff