[CLUE-Tech] apt-get sequence

Timothy C. Klein teece at silverklein.net
Mon Apr 22 20:55:43 MDT 2002

* David Jackson (david.j.jackson at pickledbeans.com) wrote:
> After installing 2.2r3 I ran:
>
> apt-get update
> apt-get upgrade
>
> Did this bring me up to 2.2.r6?

Yup, this should have brought you mostly up to 2.2r6.

> Then I changes /etc/apt/sources.list to point to "test"
> and re-ran:
>
> apt-get update
> apt-get upgrade
> apt-get autoclean
>
> I appear to be running "woody" now.

Ditto the above.

> My question is should I have run apt-get dist-upgrade instead?

Yup, you should run dist-upgrade when completly changing releases.  I
can't remember right now if the change from r3 ro r6 in potato would
count, but the potato to woody certainly would.  BTW, stable == potato,
testing = woody, unstable == sid.  Those name sound cooler!  And I don't
like the unstable name, even unstable if *far* more stable that certain
*cough* expensive commercial operating systems ;-)

dist-upgrade will often do a couple of extra packages, the ones that it
sees as much more involved.  Sometimes these might involve removing an
old, obsolete package (in which case it is usually replaced with a same
function, different name / layout package).  I don't really know what
all the criteria are for it being a 'dist-upgrade' change versus an
'upgrade' change.  But the two will differ from time to time, the dist
version is more 'risky' I guess.

But, it is that easy.  You now have a shiny new Woody box (which I guess
is going to be called 3.0)  Debian is great that way, if you have
broadband.

HTH,
Tim