[CLUE-Tech] dhclient at boot?

David Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Tue Apr 23 19:08:19 MDT 2002

Dave Price wrote:

[...]

> can anyone suggest a nice way to handle this 'logic' in a
> startup script?
>
> i.e.
>
> try dhclient, if fail, then set eth0 manually ...

There's a file in my woody somewhere that I can edit to make it use dhcp (or I put the
static IP there, if I'm using that).  Let me boot my 486...

Look at /etc/network/interfaces and interfaces(5).

I don't think ifup does the logic you describe.  I'm not sure that's a bad thing, though.
Win2k does implement your logic and it doesn't help much.  You can always hack up ifup if
that's what you want.