[CLUE-Tech] Quick Question: SuSe vs Redhat

Warren warren at guano.org
Wed Apr 24 23:29:35 MDT 2002

Keith Hellman <kehellman at yahoo.com> wrote:

 > SuSE 7.3 has a /sbin/yast2 component for modifying runlevels of
 > different services.

This is 7.2 Professional install and has yast2.  It runs under X, which
makes remote admin a little harder, but it'll do.

 > Before SuSE 7.3 I simply modified the /etc/rc.config file on my own
 > with a text file.  This file dictates the overall system
 > configuration, including service runlevels.

The rc.config on this machine seems simplified and only has the
ethernet interface information.

I didn't build this box and it has some specialty apps on it, so I
don't want to muck with it too much and possibly break anything.

 > ...I've never heard of ntsysv before....

ntsysv is a command line "menu-like" interface to the system V startup
scripts in /etc/rc.d/init.d

 --

 </W>