[CLUE-Tech] Quick Question: SuSe vs Redhat

anselmi at americanisp.net anselmi at americanisp.net
Thu Apr 25 07:15:48 MDT 2002

> Keith Hellman <kehellman at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>  > SuSE 7.3 has a /sbin/yast2 component for modifying runlevels of
>  > different services.
>
> This is 7.2 Professional install and has yast2.  It runs under X, which
> makes remote admin a little harder, but it'll do.

I looked at the 7.3 box I have, I don't see anything obvious under yast2.  But
yast2 detects your terminal and will use curses if you're on a tty - no X
required.  I tried to run it through an ssh X forward with no luck.

Take a look at init.d(7) and insserv(8).  Not quite what you're looking for,
but may help.

Of course you can always look at the links in rc.d and the scripts in init.d.