[CLUE-Tech] Quick Question: SuSe vs Redhat

Keith Hellman kehellman at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 25 08:46:06 MDT 2002

I recall it being under 'System / RC-Config' in yast2 curses mode.  The
strange (I think) thing is that most of the things yast2 does is via
plug-in components (IIRC) - so if you don't have the rpm for a component
installed (like soundcard detection, printer setup,...) you won't have the
option.

The strange thing is that these components DON'T take up a terrible amount
of space, and I dunno why the SuSE default is to simply install them all.

--- anselmi at americanisp.net wrote:
> > Keith Hellman <kehellman at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> >  > SuSE 7.3 has a /sbin/yast2 component for modifying runlevels of
> >  > different services.
> >
> > This is 7.2 Professional install and has yast2.  It runs under X,
> which
> > makes remote admin a little harder, but it'll do.
>
> I looked at the 7.3 box I have, I don't see anything obvious under
> yast2.  But
> yast2 detects your terminal and will use curses if you're on a tty - no
> required.  I tried to run it through an ssh X forward with no luck.
>
> Take a look at init.d(7) and insserv(8).  Not quite what you're looking
> for,
> but may help.
>
> Of course you can always look at the links in rc.d and the scripts in
> init.d.
>
> Dave

=====
Keith E. Hellman