[CLUE-Tech] Do these two items exist?

jbrockmeier at earthlink.net jbrockmeier at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 25 18:27:20 MDT 2002

On Thu, 25 Apr 2002, Matt Gushee wrote:

*snip*

> It's called Lin4Win, and I've heard good things about it. The difference
> between VMWare and Lin4Win is that the former is a complete virtual machine,
> while the latter (IIRC) is a Linux implementation presumably clean-room, of
> the Win32 API. I believe the advantages of Lin4Win are that it uses less
> memory, and you can run Windows apps without having Windows (though the
> second isn't a big deal for most of us). The downside is that it requires a
> patched kernel; they do provide appropriate kernels for most current
> Linux distributions, but if you prefer to customize your kernel you might
> not not want to use this. Lin4Win is comparable in price to the "lite"
> edition of VMWare, and I've seen it at SoftPro Books and The Tattered
> Cover.

I'm afraid that's not correct - Win4Lin does require Windows and operates
basically the same way that VMware does. It's a more limited product than
VMware - it doesn't support Windows XP, 2000 or NT (at least according
to their site) and the last time I checked it didn't even support sound.
It also doesn't support running Linux/FreeBSD or DOS as a virtual machine,
so it's very limited. If all you want to do is to run Windows 95/98 or ME
(supported in Win4Lin 4.0) then it might be just the thing - it's about
$89 as opposed to $299 for VMware workstation.

Of course, if all you want to do is run Office '97 or 2000 I highly
recommend CrossOver Office. It's only $59 and it works pretty well
running Office '97. The CodeWeavers site has more info on that.

Take care,

Zonker
Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier -=- jbrockmeier at earthlink.net
http://www.DissociatedPress.net/
ymessenger: jbrockmeier / AIM: ZonkerJoe