[CLUE-Tech] Is this true?

Jeffery Cann fabian at jefferycann.com
Fri Apr 26 22:48:44 MDT 2002

On Friday 26 April 2002 09:21 pm, Jed S. Baer wrote:

> Regrettably, it is the authors who abuse scripting who ruin it for sites
> which use it responsibly.

I agree.  It's always those few bad apples...

> I'll turn on JavaScript when I have a browser which allows me to disable
> (err, protect) the back button and the history button; disable "on-close"
> events; disable loading/processing of rollovers (extra bandwidth for those
> extra images); etc. I can't even remember all the javascript annoyances
> I've encountered over the past few years. And, I haven't encountered any
> use of javascript (when I've turned it on) that I couldn't think of a way
> to handle with regular HTML.

I disagree.  Suppose you want to have a more complex application.  Such a
beast is generally not used by the general public on public web sites, but
for intranet applications.  Do you want to do round-trips on the network to
figure out that after you clicked a radio button that some other field is no
longer necessary (and can be disabled with a Javascript control?

Having written HTML forms that use Javascript for validation and ones that do
not, I definitely prefer server-side validation.  It's simpler, easier, and
less problematic.  Especially if you're worried about browser compatability.

OTH - HTML is not an application language.  It's a markup language that has a
lot of other limitations.  For example, folks want the power of a GUI (i.e.,
focus controls, mouse-overs, etc.) with the ease of deployment that comes
with using a web browser.  HTML cannot do it -- Netscape knew this way back
in 1996 and hence they created javascript.

The biggest problem with javascript is that (ironically) Netscape did not
immediately submit it to W3C for validation (8 years ago!).   Had they not
acted like a monopolist (90% of browsers were NS then) and had javacript
become a standard 6 years ago (instead of 2 years ago), we web developers
would not have suffered through the pain of trying to use it.

In case you forgot, Netscape 2.0 supported javascript.  Here's a link to the
Netscape 2.0 press release - February 5, 1996:

  http://www.netscape.com/newsref/pr/newsrelease82.html

Did you realize that from within a C or Java application, you can make it
scriptable using Javascript?  (www.mozilla.org/js/)

Javascript is a handy language that solves many problems.  Now (8 years too
late) it has a standard implementation.

I guess the alternative is to write rich Java GUIs that are 'network aware',
but run outside of the browser.  But why loose all of the features that come
with a browser just to get some decent client-side application controls?

Another alternative is Java applets, but those were introduced 2 years before
folks were ready to use them.  In 1997, I actually used an Oracle Forms
utility that generated 3 MB applets from a single Oracle Form.  Oracle
thought this was an acceptable way to 'web-enable' the Oracle Forms
environment.  Sheesh.

> So, there's my little rant for the evening. Hope you enjoyed it as much as
> I did! ;-)

I did.  Javascript is such a hot-button topic.  Almost as good as discussing
the Convicted Monopolist (tm).

Later,
Jeff