[CLUE-Tech] Re: Browser Protest Day

Steve Fry clue at ir3w.com
Mon Apr 29 14:48:36 MDT 2002

> > I've fired off the first shot here:
> >   http://www.directfit.com/UnsupportedClientType.ASP

I tried visiting their site under a wide variety of browsers - they're
strict.  [I have all sorts of browsers but no versions of IE beyond IE4
- I refuse!]  I asked them what their company did.

BUT, this got me thinking.  Maybe we're going about this all wrong.
Think of how many thousands of sites we'd have to visit to ask about
compatibility.  WHAT IF ... we instead got Google and the other Search
Engines to do this for us?  [C'mon - they're big OSS guys, aren't
they?]  They could modify their spiders such that it could check pages
for compatibility for all browsers.  No compatibility = no listing.

[I do a manual version of this myself over at http://www.peaktopeak.net/
- whenever someone submits a link - I - yes - me - manually - check out
the site.  If I can't see the page in Nutscrape 4.7, I write a nice note
and about 95% of the time the Webmaster had no idea he/she had any
problems.  They usually fix and resubmit their site within a few days.]

Too much to ask (of Google and the other search engines)?  Thoughts?

Steve

PS:  Plan B - with all of the tallent on this list, maybe we could
create our own (google-like) search engine that only lists sites
compatible to all browsers?  We could call it, get-a-clue!  [Any venture
capitalists out there like this idea?]

> RE: buggy software
> From: "Karma Parlett" <Karma at iaccess.com>
> To: "Charlie Oriez" <coriez at oriez.org>
>
> No we don't have plans to use other platforms.  Sorry.
>
> Karma Parlett
> kparlett at iaccess.com

              IR3W Web Services
   Steve Fry - steve at ir3w.com - 720-233-3WWW