[CLUE-Tech] Debian Kernel Upgrade?

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Mon Apr 29 22:06:22 MDT 2002

On Mon, 29 Apr 2002 20:45:02 -0600
David Anselmi <anselmi at americanisp.net> wrote:

> David Jackson wrote:
>
> > The quest continues?
> >
> > Is there more to doing a kernel upgrade (modules d/l) than:
> > apt-get install kernel-image-2.2.20-idepci
>
> No, not really.  You may find that newer kernels use an initrd so that
> more stuff comes as modules.  In that case you'll have a dependency on
> the initrd package and you'll have to add an initrd= line to lilo.conf.
> But the install script will make that pretty clear.

Huh? My understanding is that the initrd is to be able to load the scsi
module, to use to finish booting from a SCSI drive. If the system is IDE,
you don't need that. That's an old memory on my part, but I do remember
rebuilding the kernel without it, and not having problems. My boot drive
is an IDE.

jed

--
Fight the CBDTPA: http://www.eff.org/alerts/20020322_eff_cbdtpa_alert.html

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men,
 undergo the fatigue of supporting it." - Thomas Paine