[CLUE-Tech] groups

David Jackson david.j.jackson at pickledbeans.com
Tue Apr 30 15:29:39 MDT 2002

Mike --
man groupadd
man useradd
man adduser
man chown
man chgrp

Group info is kept in /etc/groups
A some of systems created a group for each user, added secruity
by default a file is created with the username and primary/default
group i.e. I create a file ls -l would show this:

-rw-r--r--    1 davej    davej          36 Apr 26 09:11 count.awk

If you install software from source it my require you to create a user and
group just for it, and tell you what group perms to apply MySQL for intance:

shell> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/mysql
     shell> make
     shell> make install
     shell> scripts/mysql_install_db
     shell> chown -R root  /usr/local/mysql
     shell> chown -R mysql /usr/local/mysql/var
     shell> chgrp -R mysql /usr/local/mysql
     shell> cp support-files/my-medium.cnf /etc/my.cnf
     shell> /usr/local/mysql/bin/safe_mysqld --user=mysql &

Some systems have files in /bin,/sbin owned by root:bin others
root:root

HTH,
David