[CLUE-Tech] GCC versions

David Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Thu Aug 1 18:36:07 MDT 2002

Matt Gushee wrote:
> Hi, folks--
>
> I am (finally) upgrading one of my Debian boxes from Potato to Woody.
> I've installed the base system and am now going over the package list to
> remove unneeded stuff that was installed and add a few more goodies. I
> notice that two versions of GCC were installed: 2.95 and 3.0. I'm
> wondering if there's any good reason to have both. Now, I do compile
> packages from source quite often, but I'm not a C programmer, and up
> until now I've been using 2.95 for everything with no apparent problems.

I would suggest only using one.  When 3 came out there were lots of
complaints about things it broke.  That was 6 months or more ago so it
may be better now.

I see that debian stable includes both, is there something in tasksel
that suggests which is the standard for Debian?  Or, failing that, look
at LFS.  They seem to be switching from 2.95 to 3.1 between the 3.3 book
and what's in cvs (7/29).  I would guess there's some discussion in
their archives that would be enlightening.

Once LFS releases a book using 3.1, I would say that should be good
enough to use.