[CLUE-Tech] Wireless LAN solutions?

Tom Poindexter tpoindex at nyx.net
Thu Aug 1 21:24:04 MDT 2002

On Thu, Aug 01, 2002 at 08:33:51PM -0600, Jed S. Baer wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Aug 2002 20:04:08 -0600
> Sean LeBlanc <seanleblanc at americanisp.net> wrote:
>
> > Has anyone had much experience with wireless cards. I was wondering if
> > 802.11b works well with FreeBSD/Linux. I was doing some groups googling,
> > but didn't turn up much that was definitive.

> http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/Tools.html
> user-level drivers for scarab devices: ftp://shadow.cabi.net/pub/Linux
>
> Also, listed in the wireless config dialog are AT&T Wavelan, Aironet,
> Cisco, and Hermes (Orinoco,Wavelan,Prism,Symbol) (some are PCMCIA).

Like many other hardward devices & Linux, know what you're buying.  Some
Cards/chipsets are better supported that others.

I run Wavelan (my card is labeled 'Avaya', the access point is co-branded
HP/Lucent, and have great results.   I few folks at work have newer
Intel and newer generation SMC, both have limited driver support (not included
with typical PCMCIA drivers).  Older generations of the SMC card
are reported to work, but the newer one has enough chipset level changes
to require a new driver.

--
Tom Poindexter
tpoindex at nyx.net