[CLUE-Tech] GCC versions

Matt Gushee mgushee at havenrock.com
Thu Aug 1 21:58:04 MDT 2002

On Thu, Aug 01, 2002 at 09:16:03PM -0600, Tom Poindexter wrote:

> > My $.02, don't worry about 3.0 until stable realeases begin to appear.
>
> I'd disagree, GCC 3.1.1 has just been released, produces faster code (6-8%,
> with the right -m, -f & -O options).  The only caveat with Linux is I don't
> know if the kernel likes GCC 3.x yet.  There was some kernel code that
> relied on certain code generation from the 2.9x series.
>
> I believe I saw that RedHat's next release will be fully based on
> GCC 3.1.

Well, that's a good reason to avoid it in my book ;-)

Sarcasm aside, one of the reasons I don't use Red Hat any more is that
I've had a few too many nasty surprises with their distributions. They
seem just a little too eager to distribute the latest version of
everything.

> There's certainly no reason that you can't have both.

Yes there is: disk space. This is on a laptop.

--
Matt Gushee
Englewood, Colorado, USA
mgushee at havenrock.com