[CLUE-Tech] Bond0?

Dan Vande More dvm at gwtr.com
Mon Aug 5 10:51:50 MDT 2002

Good morning:

I have an webserver running Redhat 6.2 bare bones.
I use webmin for the few things I do. (reading logs, setting up cron jobs etc.)
I have version .99 and a module name system info which is quite cool.
Tells me the hardware/uptime/network activity of the system (Normal geeky stuff).
Occasionally, I go in check it out, and I'm done.
Today, I noticed a new network device with the name of bond0.
Now I am not confident that it was not there before, but I've never heard of the bond device and it surely would have stuck out.
How could have this shown up? It says this:

Network
Interface  RX  TX  Err/Drop
lo  3.78 MB  3.78 MB  0/0
eth0  3.88 GB  2.25 GB  0/0
bond0  0.00 KB  0.00 KB  0/0

I've done hardly anything to this box since april, and now this has shown up.
I occasionaly run the root checkers (which rarely does much, I know) that checks for known malicious hacks.
This machine sits behind a pix firewall which only allows incoming port 80.
How likely is it that someone's broken in?
Am I overreacting?
I run php 4.1.2 and apache 1.3.26

THanks

Dan