[CLUE-Tech] EXT3

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Wed Aug 7 13:58:08 MDT 2002

On Wed, 2002-08-07 at 13:59, grant.johnson at twcable.com wrote:
> Well, I switched my laptop to EXT3 about 2 months ago.  I had a
> non-clean shutdown (the battery fell out) and when I rebooted, it did a
> nice long FSCK on the EXT3 file system.  I though the whole point of a
> JFS was to avoid the FSCK.  What did I do wrong?
>
> I did the tune2fs -j /dev/hda3, and then changed fstab to reflect the
> change to ext3.  When I run mount to check on the mount points, it
> identifies the fs as ext3.  Now what?

Hi Grant,

When the OS first tries to mount each of the previously-uncleanly-
unmounted journaled filesystems, you should get a prompt that looks
something like:

  Filesystem (XXX) not cleanly unmounted, you have 10 seconds to
    hit return to force a check (fsck)...

and then you can choose to run fsck or you can choose to ignore the
message and let the journal do its best to figure out how to proceed.
In most cases (where there hasn't been any serous damage), you can
safely ignore the message and let the journal take care of it.

Thats the default behavior in recent versions of Red Hat, Mandrake, and
KRUD.  I can't say what the default is for other distros.

hth,
Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD