[CLUE-Tech] Hardware question: monitor

Jeremiah Stanley lists at miah.org
Tue Aug 13 15:06:32 MDT 2002

> Lately, my monitor has been clicking (think electronic click) when it comes
> out of power save.  This has been happening for about 2-3 weeks.  In the last
> few days, it has started failing to coming out of power save -- i.e., the
> screen is black or it will flash a line briefly in the middle of the screen.

Some monitors just do that. They make a loud <SPUNG!> noise when the
tube kicks on. I've seen this on some of the cheaper Compaq branded
monitors in my travels.

But, if the monitor just started making that noise then it's time to get
the shovel and start digging a shallow grave for it. Don't worry too
much about being able to get the monitor fixed, the tube will cost as
much as a new monitor so you might as well get a warranty for your
money.

If anybody else has read 'Cryptonomicon' by Neal Stephenson you'll
recall a part of the book where they describe a character who's vision
was terrible and he would switch resolutions on his monitor multiple
times per day. One day, it just exploded in his face. This isn't meant
to scare you, but can a vacuum tube really do that?

> It's a Phillips 107S that I have had 4 years.  I am wondering if this is the
> beginning of the end?  If not, I appreciate any suggestions to troubleshoot.

The only real suggestion I have is to blow the back of the monitor out
with some compressed air and see if the does anything for it.

Look on the bright side of this: it gives you an excuse to get one of
those kewl flat panel LCD's! ;)

JStanley