[CLUE-Tech] Simulating dial-up

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at americanisp.net
Tue Aug 13 20:59:16 MDT 2002

On 08-11 11:38, Sean LeBlanc wrote:
> Has anyone ever simulated a dial-up connection by somehow throttling their
> bandwidth temporarily? I want to see how slow our company's web pages load
> with different speeds...w/o digging out an old modem and calling AmericanISP
> to get dial-up info, etc...

Well, to anyone that is interested: I found an answer to this, at least with
FreeBSD. It's called dummynet, and onlamp.com as well as others had some
tips on how to set it up. It worked, maybe TOO well...I forgot just how
painful dial-up can be. :/

Out of idle curiosity, I'd be interested what the equivalent on Linux is.
Functionality like this is perfect for trying to gauge what the experience
on a company web site would be like, esp. at companies where there are
mostly digital lines. It's pretty easy to shrug off large page sizes when
you are hitting them on a T3, or over the LAN, or on your own machine. :)

Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at americanisp.net
One learns to itch where one can scratch.
-Ernest Bramah